Common Threads Farm is a great place to volunteer. Whether your interests lie in education, nutrition, sustainable agriculture, building, environmental stewardship, fundraising or event planning – we likely have an opportunity that’s right for you.
Interested in an AmeriCorps year of service? Find out more!
There are LOTS of different ways to get involved in seed-to-table food education at schools. Please take a look at the opportunities available and contact Jessica with any questions.
- Summer Garden Care Volunteers: Weed, prune, mulch, plant and water during the school year and summer break. During the school year attend a work party. During summer, sign up to help take care of a garden.
- School Garden Lessons: Assist Common Threads’ Food Educators with school garden-based lessons. Includes experiential outdoor education and facilitating small groups of students. No gardening knowledge required (but welcomed!).
- Classroom Cooking: Assist Common Threads Food Educators with classroom-based healthy cooking activities. Our classroom cooking programs run November-February.
- After-School Cooking & Gardening Clubs: Assist Common Threads Food Educators with after-school cooking or gardening club activities (could be fall, winter, or spring)
- Evening Family & Community Events: Assist Common Threads Food Educators with cooking demos and tasting opportunities at evening family events & community events, such as school-hosted satellite food banks.
- Distribute Taste Tests*: Assist food service staff in distributing taste tests for new menu items and on Harvest of the Month lunch days in the cafeteria once a month.
- Support New Programs*: Volunteer to support students, teachers, and food service staff during the start of new healthy eating programs such as Breakfast in the Classroom, Recess Before Lunch, Salad Bars, and new recipe taste-tests.
- Cafeteria Composting*: Support students, food service and custodial staff, and teachers in creating and sustaining thoughtful cafeteria food recovery and composting practices.
COMMON THREADS SUMMER CAMPS
- Camps: Assist Common Threads Food Educators in facilitating a diversity of Spring Break or Summer programs. We lead camp programs at The Outback on the WWU campus and at low-income housing sites.
BEHIND THE SCENES
- Office & Data Entry Assistance: General office operations, as-needed basis.
- Board Member: Common Threads is guided by a board of directors that meets on a monthly basis. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Laura at (360)927-1590 or email@example.com.
*These are initiatives of other awesome organizations in our community. Based on your interest, we’ll put you in touch with the right person!
Volunteer in the Cafeteria handout!
Common Threads Farm does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, ability, or sexual orientation. We view diversity as an asset and actively seek to cultivate an environment of inclusion and tolerance.