Recommended materials: Large bowl, grater (or knife), cutting board, masher (or fork), tablespoon (or one big spoon), measuring cups.
This recipe makes roughly 2 cups of hummus.
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 small beet (grated or finely chopped)
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP tahini (*allergen note: tahini contains sesame)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of cumin or paprika
- Crackers or vegetables, for dipping!
- Wash hands.
- Drain chickpeas by pouring out the liquid from their can.
- Pour chickpeas into a bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt & pepper, and paprika or cumin into the bowl with chickpeas.
- Using a grater, grate your beet over the bowl of chickpeas.
- Use a masher or fork to blend the hummus together until smooth
- Dip with crackers or another favorite vegetable.
Glowing Recommendations from Kids:
“We should make this for Valentine’s Day!” -Kindergartener at Carl Cozier about the beet hummus
“This [beet hummus] is Santa’s dream food!” -Jackson, kindergartener at Columbia
“This is my favorite food I’ve made in cooking class!” -Eldon, fourth grader at Columbia