Makes: 2-3 cups
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 8 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs (chives, mint, oregano, etc.)
- Heat milk in a pot until it reaches 180 degrees fahrenheit.
- Turn off heat. Stirring slowly, add lemon juice a tablespoon at a time until it starts to curdle.
- Drain the curds and whey into a colander lined with a cheesecloth or pillow case. (You may use the whey in smoothies!)
- Once most of the whey has dripped out, you sprinkle it with salt and tie the cheese up (squeeze out whey gently, if you’d like) and hang for a couple of hours to have the whey drain off.
- Once the cheese has become more solid, you may now add minced herbs, spices, and salt to taste.
- Serve with crackers, or goes well in lasagna. Enjoy!