This recipe requires a heat source
Recommended materials: Large skillet, knife, cutting board, grater (or knife), measuring spoons (or one big spoon and one small spoon), measuring cups.
This recipe was prepared during the 2017-18 winter cooking series. Read about the lesson here, and download recipe cards below.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 ½ cups cabbage, about ¼ of a head (finely chopped)
- 1 medium carrot, or 1 cup (grated or cut into small pieces)
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 3 TBSP soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Wash hands.
- Heat 2 TBSP of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and purple cabbage, then sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots and peas, then sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice, soy sauce (or tamari), pepper, and ground ginger, then mix well.
- Once mixture is heated all the way through, divide into bowls and serve.
Note: Feel free to experiment with other ingredients! Other vegetables like bok choy, broccoli, or leafy greens are fun to try.
Downloadable recipe cards, in English and Spanish: