Serving through Americorps
Applications are now open! Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis, so if you are interested in applying don’t delay!
To apply, complete the Common Threads’ application form including a resume, cover letter, and two letters of reference. For questions or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-927-1590
An AmeriCorps application is not required but can be used in place of submitting two letters of reference through the Common Threads’ application (only for those applying for a Food Educator or School Farmer position).
Food Educators & School Farmer (August 24 2020-August 23 2021)
You could make a difference in the lives of hundreds of children! Every school year, we seek out passionate, committed, and energetic individuals to be AmeriCorps Food Educators who garden and cook with kids at one or two schools. The Common Threads site also seeks an AmeriCorps School Farmer, who focuses on providing agricultural support to Food Educators at their schools. View the Food Educator posting here and the School Farmer posting here.
The service term typically runs from August 24, 2020 til August 23, 2021 for a total of 1700 hours over the course of a year.
You can choose to apply to serve at one or more of four organizations across WA state:
What will you get out of choosing to serve?
- The knowledge that you have made a difference in the lives of kids!
- A cohort of like-minded individuals
- The opportunity to build skills in teaching, community organizing, farming, communications, and more!
- Intensive training prior to each seasonal transition
- Ongoing smaller trainings
- A monthly living stipend
- An education award upon completion of hours
- Access to health insurance (for full-time members)
- Easy access to housing for members starting in August – Common Threads holds a lease on a shared house and subleases to AmeriCorps Members at an affordable rate