Naan with Butter in a Jar (& Naan Pizza)
Recipe Courtesy of Becky Moore and Concrete Farm-to-School
Makes 8 pieces
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
- Add salt and flour. Knewad dough about 20 times on floured surface. Form into a ball.
- Put dough into oiled bowl and cover with cloth. Let rest for 30-45 minutes (it won’t rise much.)
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll out. Form into fun shapes if you want.
- Grill naan pieces on grill, electric griddle, or slightly oiled frying pan. Cook 1-2 minutes each side.
- Sever with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Butter in a Jar
Makes ½ cup of Butter
Ingredients and Materials:
- 1 pint or 16 oz mason jar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cold water
- Pour heavy cream into the mason jar, filling it half-way full. Screw the lid on.
- Shake mason jar for approximately 5-7 minutes. After the first 2 minutes you’ll have whipped cream. Keep shaking until you hear that a lump has formed inside, and shake an additional 30-60 seconds after that.
- Remove the solids from the jar. The remaining liquid is buttermilk. You can save that for other recipes, or discard it.
- Place the solids into a small bowl. Pour cold water over the butter and use your hands to squish it into a ball. Discard water and repeat rinsing 2 times more.
- At this point you have butter. You can add in things like salt, honey, and herbs to create flavored butters, or serve in its pure form as is. The butter will stay good for 3-5 days at room temperature, and about 7-10 days refrigerated. Enjoy!
For Pizza option:
Recommended topping ingredients:
- Marinara sauce (or make your own!)
- Pesto sauce (or make your own!)
- Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- Chopped vegetables including but not limited to tomatoes, zucchini, radroni
- Chopped Fresh herbs including but not limited to basil, oregano, rosemary.
- Olive oil, vinegar, or lemon juice for garnish
Directions to make pizza on Naan:
- Add sauce, cheese, your favorite vegetables, and fresh herbs.
- Carefully put the pizza back on the skillet on low and cover with lid to melt the cheese and cook the toppings.
- Drizzle your favorite olive oil, vinegar, or lemon juice on top and enjoy!