- 2 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- ½ medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 leaves kale
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp pepper (optional)
- Wash hands.
- Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain; return potatoes to same saucepan. Add milk. Mash potatoes (with peel) until smooth. Transfer to large bowl.
- Dice potatoes.
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion softens. Add kale, thyme and paprika (optional) and cook until kale wilts.
- Combine kale mixture and potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool potato mixture.
- Shape potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into 1/2 in thick patties.
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cakes and cook, without moving, until cakes are brown and crispy on bottom, 3-4 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over. Cook until brown on bottom, 2-3 minutes longer. Transfer to plates.