This recipe requires a heat source
Recommended materials: Skillet, large bowl, grater (or knife), cutting board, measuring spoons (or one big spoon and one small spoon), measuring cups, paper towels.
This recipe makes roughly 6-8 latkes
- 3 cups grated (or cut into thin strips) root vegetables/tubers (carrots, potatoes, parsnips, beets, turnips, etc.)
- ¼ medium onion (grated or finely chopped)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Oil (for frying)
- Sour cream and/or applesauce for toppings (optional)
- Wash hands.
- Place grated vegetables and onion into a large bowl. Press with a paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Add eggs, corn starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with enough oil to fill the skillet to a depth of ¼ – ½ inch.
- When the oil is hot, add small scoops of latkes to the skillet. Flatten them with a spoon to make patties. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Place finished patties on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Season with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Serve with sour cream or applesauce, whatever you like!