Makes 5 portions
- 3 cups grated root vegetables/tubers (carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, potatoes)
- ¼ medium onion, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream or applesauce for serving (optional)
- Wash hands
- Place grated vegetables and onion into a large bowl. Press with a paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Add eggs, corn starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Place skillet on medium low to medium heat. Pour enough oil to fill the skillet to a depth of ¼-½ inch.
- When the oil is hot add small scoops of latkes to the skillet. Flatten them with a spoon to make patties. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place finished patties on a paper towel to drain.
- Season with salt and serve with choice of toppings