Super Kale Salad
A modified version of what was tasted at the 2015 Harvest Dinner and the recipe used in Lesson 1 of our 2015-2016 Winter Cooking in Schools series!
- 3-4 leaves of kale
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups & spoons
- 1 large bowl and 1 small bowl
- Mixing spoon
What to Do:
- De-stem kale by pulling leaves away from the stem. Wash leaves, pat dry.
- Stack leaves, roll up and cut into thin ribbons OR cut with scissors OR tear with hands into a large bowl.
- Add salt, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Massage kale gently with your hands for 2 minutes (this helps break down kale fiber).
- Stir in dried cranberries and sunflower seeds.
- Mix dressing ingredients (olive oil and balsamic vinegar) together in small bowl and add to salad.