This recipe requires a heat source
Recommended materials: Baking sheet, large bowl, knife, cutting board, measuring spoons (or one big spoon and one small spoon), measuring cups.
This recipe makes roughly 4 quesadillas, using medium sized tortillas.
- 2 ⅔ cup cheese that melts well, ie cheddar/mozzarella (shredded)
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 14 oz can black beans
- 1 cup of corn
- ⅓ cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Tortillas (optional to make your own with 2 cups corn masa)
- Wash hands.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F°
- In a large mixing bowl, add black beans, corn, peppers, garlic, cilantro, onions, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Stir well to combine.
- To build each quesadilla: on half of each tortilla sprinkle shredded cheese and spread some of the veggie mixture. Fold the other half of the tortilla on top pressing on it somewhat gently-hard making a half moon shape. Repeat with each tortilla.
- Bake for 20 min or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and cut into thirds. Top with your favorite toppings!
Optional – Homemade Tortillas:
- Wash hands.
- Combine 4 cups of corn masa flour with 3 cups of water. Mix thoroughly for two minutes to form a soft dough.
- Roll into small balls (a little smaller than a golf ball).
- Line tortilla press with wax paper on both sides. Press dough balls, one at a time. Each ball will form a 5 inch diameter tortilla.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat. Cook each tortilla for 30 seconds on each side, turning the tortilla 3 times. Keep tortillas warm, wrapped in a towel.