Have you been to the Birchwood International Market yet? If not, you should go – though you’ll have to wait for next year. The summertime market is a large open air market celebrating the rich cultural diversity of Birchwood featuring cultural performance, music, and art.
The Common Threads team had the opportunity to attend the final event of the season this September. Our Food Educators cooked up a veggie-storm with student volunteers. We loved seeing the interactions between parents and kids while they helped with the cooking demo – and we hope that this is something that can be brought to their homes when using the meal kits we offered.
Kiana, one of our Food Educators, announced on the microphone that we had 30 bags available with everything needed to make the Kale and Rice Salad that we had demonstrated. There was an instant rush and all the bags were taken home!
We left this event appreciating how well the Birchwood community creates space and honors each others’ diversity. At this event, community members connected back to their roots and allowed others to be a part of that. We felt honored to be invited.
Rice & Greens / Ensalada de Arroz y Verduras
Didn’t make it to the market or receive one of the recipe kits? Have a look at the recipe below, adapted from one of our previous winter cooking recipes, Rice & Kale Salad.
- 10 kale leaves, rinsed (or use other greens you have available!)
- 3 cups cooked rice (any variety)
- 1 ear of corn, cut off the cob
- ½ cup onions, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice (~1 lemon)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp of cayenne (optional)
- 10 hojas de col rizada, enjuagadas
- 3 tazas de arroz cocido (cualquier variedad)
- 1 mazorca de maíz, corta la mazorca
- ½ taza de cebolla picada (opcional)
- ½ taza de cilantro (picado)
- 2 cucharadas de aceite de oliva
- 2 cucharadas de jugo de limón o lima
- 1 cucharadita de sal
- 1 cucharadita de comino
- ⅛ cucharadita de pimienta de cayena
- 1 cucharadita de paprika
- Wash hands
- De-stem kale leaves by pulling leaves away from stem
- Rip kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and place into large mixing bowl
- Massage kale gently with your hands for two minutes
- Measure olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and various spices and pour into mixing bowl with kale
- Add rice, corn, onions (if using), and cilantro into mixing bowl with kale
- Stir and enjoy! Can be served hot or cold.
- Lavarse las manos.
- Quite las hojas de la col rizada, tirando las hojas del tallo
- Rasgue las hojas de col rizada en trozos pequeños y colóquelos en un tazón grande para mezclar
- Masajea la col rizada suavemente con las manos por dos minutos
- Mida el aceite de oliva, el jugo de limón, la sal y varias especias y vierta en un tazón con la col rizada
- Agregue el arroz, el maíz, la cebolla (si se usa) y el cilantro en un tazón con la col rizada
- Revuelva y disfrute! Se puede servir caliente o fría.